Sweet Potato, Courgette & Chicken Risotto
Ingredients Serves 4
300g Arborio risotto rice
1 large onion, chopped
500ml chicken stock (plus extra boiling water)
1 oz Parmesan cheese, grated (plus extra to serve)
generous knob butter
4 skinless chicken breasts
dried thyme or mixed herbs
1 courgette, thinly sliced
2 sweet potatoes, cut into small cubes
Salt & Pepper
- Preheat oven 200C. Tip all the prepared veg (except the onion) onto a shallow roasting tray. Drizzle with lemon infused oil, season with salt and pepper and roast for 30 minutes or until slightly charred and soft. You will need to toss and turn the veg half way through cooking.
- In a hot frying pan, add a glug of garlic infused oil. Season the chicken breasts with salt and pepper and a sprinkle with dried thyme or mixed herbs. Add to the hot pan and cook for 2-3 minutes on each side to brown and add some colour. Remove from the pan and place on a baking tray to finish cooking in the oven (around 20 – 25 minutes).
- Whilst the veg and chicken is roasting, start making the risotto. Add a generous glug of garlic infused oil to a large pan over a medium to hot heat. Add the onion and cook for 5 minutes until light brown and softened. Add the risotto rice and stir to coat the grains of rice in the oil. Season.
- Turn the heat down to medium and gradually start adding a little of the hot stock, stirring until the rice absorbs the liquid before adding more. Continue this until the risotto rice is soft through the middle – top up using boiling water when stock is finished. This stage will take at least 20 – 30 minutes – do not leave the pan unattended or it may dry out and burn.
- To finish the risotto, take off the heat and add the grated parmesan and knob of butter. Check seasoning. Stir well to create a glossy, enriched finish. Plate up the risotto, top with the vegetables and sliced chicken breast. Drizzle with a little more lemon and garlic oil and finish with more grated Parmesan.